Srinagar, Aug 30: Chairman of moderate Hurriyat Conference Mirwaiz Moulvi Umar Farooq was placed under house arrest in the summer capital, Srinagar. The move by the authorities comes as a precautionary measure in view of a two-day strike called by separatists from Thursday against alleged attempts being made to abrogate Article 35-A. Meanwhile, hardline Hurriyat Conference Syed Ali Shah Geelani also remained under house arrest. A spokesman for the HC said paramilitary forces and state police personnel have been deployed since Wednesday night outside the Nigeen house of the Mirwaiz, who was informed that he has been put under house arrest. “A large number of security forces and state police personnel also remained deployed outside the Hyderpora residence of Geelani in uptown, Srinagar,” he said. Life came to a grinding halt as shops and business establishments were closed and traffic was off the road in Kashmir due to two-day strike called by separatists. Curfew-like restrictions have also been imposed in downtown and parts of civil lines in the summer capital, Srinagar as a precautionary measure to prevent any untoward incident following a two-day strike called by separatists.
Let's connect on any of these social networks!
TRS promises 20k litres free water for Hyderabad residents, BJP terms manifesto as ‘recycled document’
- CONNECT WITH ROOTS - Diary of a Kashmiri Pandit teenager 30 comments
- Nitish + BJP: Two Way Political Opportunism 9 comments
- Ashesh Dhar - From a humble Sales Officer to Head Tata PEV A saga of 'grit and nerve' - An Obituary 8 comments
- Duda's Doodle : Nehru-Indira and INC 7 comments
- Attempts or intent which led to exodus of Hindus of Kashmir need to be extirpated:Bob Blackman,tables early day motion in commemoration of Kashmiri Pandits Balidan divas.. 6 comments