Global Kashmiri Pandit Diaspora (GKPD) endorses MP Swamy’s call for capital punishment to perpetrators of the brutal murders, rapes and forced conversion as also full compensation to the Kashmiri Pandits. It fully aligns with one of the key, long standing demands of GKPD.
GKPD also rejects an IANS story published on 15th September 2020 with the title ‘Naya Kashmir to have 10 special townships for Kashmiri Pandits’. The article regurgitates an incorrect earlier report of the meeting between GKPD members and Honourable Amit Shah ji on Tuesday, February 18, 2020 at his residence.
Honourable home Minister assured the delegation that rehabilitation of Kashmiri pandits continues to be an important part of Governments agenda in the post August 5, 2019 scenario. At no point during the meeting were ’10 townships’ discussed. We will be formally contacting IANS to seek clarification on the above article at the earliest and also what prompted this regurgitation at this time of an earlier false story?
Our understanding based on prior statements by the earlier J&K State representatives is that the so-called townships mentioned in the article will serve as ‘transit abodes’ for PM package job takers. In no way do they represent a permanent resolution of the KP demand for a homeland. However, to reiterate again, this subject was not discussed at the said meeting.
GKPD members presented a memorandum to him. This was followed by a press release on behalf of GKPD. The salient recommendations of the memorandum were:
- Form an advisory council of Kashmiri Pandits who can work under the aegis of Ministry of Home Affairs that will jointly come up with a plan for full restorative justice of Kashmiri Pandits
- The advisory council will have representation from mainstream community organizations, youth representation, women representation, eminent community think tank members, representation from Jagati, rural and urban representation and overseas representation
- Request to grant the community its demand for a single concentrated rehabilitation with employment and other rights enshrined in the Constitution of India.
- 4. Restoration of building of our temples, shrines and community assets including crematoriums.
- Setting up an enquiry commission to investigate the cause of our genocide and ethnic cleansing with proactive steps to initiate legal proceedings with secure conviction for those who were culpable of crime that led to our genocide and ethnic cleansing.
GKPD is highly encouraged and heartened that the global civil society movement that it has fostered is gaining scale and legitimacy in an unprecedented manner. When eminent personalities such as Kangana Ranaut, Vivek Agnihotri and others declare that they will work to publicize the truth of the Kashmiri Pandit genocide then victory will be ours.